Categories
gateway services inc florida

Its now time to get messy. Kerdi is all about drywall. Royce,do you like the TEC better than Kerabond? Cover the joints with KERDI-FLEX. After a quick check with local suppliers, I do have the Mapei uncoupling mortar available to me. Thanks Kevin. Ditra can be installed over a variety of subfloors including concrete, plywood, OSB and radiant heated floors. I am nearing completion of my tile shower project. Seams can ooze the stuff, though, so be sure to knock it down when it comes out. A quality unmodified thinset should be used and mixed with a latex additive. Once you install KERDI over the drywall panels, they will be completely protected from the water and vapor in your tiled shower. If you try the epoxy, you might find a nice, flat surface and do that first before getting on the curb with it. Cut a section of Kerdi off the roll and dry fit it on the hardie. I'm not so sure any of this makes a difference? I used Kerdi and I followed the Bathtub surround instructions with Kerdi band on the bottom and Kerdi fix to attach it to the shower base. 3. Mark the slope or high point on the walls. The combination of these four essential functions allows for the successful installation of tile over a wide range of substrates, including plywood/ OSB, concrete, gypsum, heated floors, etc. The KERDI-SHOWER-T is offered in five sizes with perimeter heights ranging from 1-3/32" (28 mm) to 1-1/4" (32 mm). A bunch of products can be used over an OSB floor. Both (actually, all three) methods will produce a workable shower, if done properly. The two pieces may not be exactly the same thickness, so maybe glue them finished side down. Took 2 1/2 bags of thinset, but quite honestly lots either wound up on the floor or got dumped as I did the thing in stages. We are very concerned about any moisture at all getting into the OSB. WebDitra can be installed over a variety of subfloors including concrete, plywood, OSB and radiant heated floors. The classically-inspired KERDI-DRAIN is offered in a variety of grate finishes and accommodates a wide range of tile thicknesses. So if you pre-treated the backs you just ruined the corner. Don't fear the mud. Schluter-KERDI is a pliable sheet-applied waterproofing membrane and vapor-retarder designed for the direct application of tile. With the KERDI-SHOWER-TT thin shower tray on a wood subfloor, you can build up the rest of the bathroom floor by installing either a 5/8" or 3/4" plywood/OSB panel on top of the wood subfloor along with DITRA or another Schluter-Systems uncoupling membrane. 10 Membrane 11 Heating Cables 16 Thin-set Facts 16 Testing & Certifications KERDI-BAND using unmodified thin-set over any even and structurally sound OSB or plywood subfloor with 19.2" (488 mm) o.c. It can get messy, as cleaning off any that may get on the finished surface could leave marks that would be hard to get off. Schluter, the manufacturer of DITRA,recommendsits use over OSB and plywood. Henry makes one called liquid backerboard that is designed to get to a feather edge over OSB or ply (I'm sure on ply, double-check over OSB). The use of really cold water might give you an extra minute or two. So, it is safe to install DITRA over OSB. Instead, the plywood preparation is done so that it is made water-resistant and more adhesive suitable without using a primer. Copyright 2022 Zonda Media, a Delaware Corporation. KERDI was developed as a The pan itself is pretty much locked in place by the walls and curb, and the bond, while important, isn't the main thing holding it in place. Danny, download Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com/), a free image viewer/editor. I am out of level less than 1/4" from side to side and I'm going over OSB. No. Silicone or sand caulk in the corners since its a change of plain. Different options and thicknesses of DITRA membrane are available to best suit the needs of your project. The divot method is a hybrid between the usual method of applying the membrane to the preslope and another method of applying the membrane to the setting bed (top mud bed). Its essential to use the recommended products to avoid disasters. It takes a little longer than the traditional mud shower bed and water-proofing methods, but it is worth it. Please refer to the Schluter-Shower System Installation Handbook How long do I have to wait before I can install tile on the Schluter-KERDI membrane? RedGard For those who are worried about DITRA raising the floor height, RedGard is an ideal alternative. Kerdi200/20M covers 215 sq. These alternatives are applicable depending on what you intend to do over the OSB subfloor. The only time I've used Ultraflex with a Schluter product is when I adhere Ditra to a plywood substrate, if you put Ditra over a SLC you need to go back to unmodified. Pressing the Escape (ESC) button will close the modal and bring you back to where you were on the page. Generally, Schluter-SET, Schluter-ALL-SET, Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar is used. I accidentally poked a hole through the Schluter-KERDI while installing the membrane. DITRA-HEAT-DUO features an integrated bonding fleece that provides sound control, as well as a thermal break. Wait 24 hours after the membrane (i.e., Schluter-KERDI-BAND and Schluter-KERDI) installation is complete to allow for the final set of the mortar and to ensure waterproof performance of the assembly at seams and connections before water testing. If that is the case, I am assuming Versabond is ok? Will OSB Suck Moisture from the Mortar Used to Install DITRA? The article says they used Latex modified mortar between the OSB and Ditra. Not good. Does unmodified thinset stick to plywood? I'm of the opinion now that I'll use what's best for the stick with the subfloor. Uncoupling and waterproofing membrane: Schluter-DITRA, 5. vBulletin v3.7.4, Copyright 2000-2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Because of the benefits mentioned above, DITRA is perfect for surfaces about to be tiled over. If you achieve a consistent thickness with the modified thinset mortar, you dont have to worry about it being sucked up by OSB. Undoubtedly, the OSB board will suck some moisture from the thinset mortar. Higher latex content is essential for bonding to plywood. The back side of the drywall fails and it is just as bad or worse than if it had an issue on the tile side. Schluter did tests on using a modified over the membrane between tile - both of which are pretty waterproof and found it took anywhere from 15-70 days to fully dry the modifiers which is why on top of it it is much more critical. Wont DITRA Raise the Height of the OSB Floor? Tiles were 12x12.Let's not confuse the issue with facts! You should be good to go anytime now. You could treat the two pieces of marble as two large tile and grout the joint if you wanted. Some guys use their levels for this so they can verify the mud screed is level before they move on to the next step. 2. and KERDI-SEAL-MV at the mixing valve. A rubber float can make your work much easier. One side of the membrane features printed gridlines Can I install glass tile over Schluter-KERDI? To allow for greater movement, the center section of the KERDI-FLEX can be tucked into the cavity of the expansion joint prior to bonding. Thanks Kevin. They can easily be cut to size with a utility knife, or may be extended with dry-pack mortar. Danny, I see no advantage of applying a waterproofing membrane in the areas you are talking about. DITRA will prevent OSB from water damage. I would not use a liquid membrane over a Kerdi tray. say that I expect to be a life-long subscriber." Follow the Wood Underlayment installation guidelines as found in the Schluter-DITRA or Schluter-DITRA-HEAT Installation Handbooks for fastening guidelines. RedGuard is not harder to adhere to. Tile is installed over DITRA using the thin-bed method in such a way that the mortar becomes mechanically anchored in the square, cutback cavities of the matting. Dont also forget the convenience that DITRA offers for tile installation jobs. Tile will go over the kerdi. This includes dirt and dust. IOW, you have to be fast. Your saving a lot of money by doing it yourself instead of hiring it done. A 1/4" x 3/16" (6 mm x 5 mm) V-notched trowel or the Schluter-KERDI-TROWEL is recommended.. How do I seal Schluter-KERDI to a bathtub? Can I install Kerdi membrane over Hardibacker? Schluter-KERDI is a pliable, sheet-applied, bonded waterproof membrane and vapor retarder with limited crack-bridging capabilities. You can use a vacuum for that job. ?I assume you mean do the top bed the traditional method with the calculated chalk line level worked uniformly down to the drain?? A-holes. The back side of the drywall fails and it is just as bad or worse than if it had an issue on the tile side. This movement is what causes the tiles and grout to crack. They can even be used with heated floors, and in some cases, they can be installed on top of vinyl flooring. Did the article get this detail grotesquely wrong? 4. Therefore, do not be surprised when you find this material used as the subfloor of your home. That's what it was designed to be applied over in most applications, but I'd use 3/4" ply for the seating area. I will explain why you should use the V-notched trowel. If working with a wood subfloor, you can build up the rest of the subfloor by installing either a 5/8" or 3/4" plywood/OSB panel on top of the wood subfloor along with DITRA or another Schluter-Systems uncoupling membrane. Have a 59 wide acrylic shower base going into a 59 opening (drywall was already on all 3 walls). This seems to contradict what I We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. I installed my Schluter-KERDI membrane yesterday. Once it starts to get stiff, it will go off quickly. This means: A minimum of 5/8 nominal plywood or OSB thickness installed over joists on 16 centers. "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." Hey every group has to have one. Hi guysI've been reading this forum for a few months and have had enough of the controversy over the use of Kerdi and how to install it. The Kerdi system is installed using thin-set mortar. Below is a quick guide on the installation of DITRA over OSB. I have two pieces of marble that will need to be cut to create a shower curb cap (2-42" pieces to join to fill a 60" curb). DITRA has a thickness of 1/8. That will eliminate/slow down theloss of moisture from the mortar. bags at Lowe's that you can get for less than the cost of a 50lb bag. Once you get your pics to about 600 pixels high by 400 wide, they'll upload in a snap. It's easier to get things level when applied thicker, but that may not be what you want because of height stackups. Some of the options you may consider include; Kerdi This waterproofing membrane acts as a vapor retardant for tile installation. You only need a pair of scissors to cut the DITRA uncoupling membrane. Is this going to be a mud job? I should make that my tagline. If so, you haven't done anything wrong. In high moisture areas, you can imagine that it is very important to consider this water-resistant feature and functionality so that it will help your projects be more complete. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Danny, this the same master bath you have an earlier thread about? In that case, you can use DITRA in kitchens and showers with OSB floors. That can be mitigated by using DITRAs waterproofing capabilities. They have a lot of detailed information there about various substrates, for example: Strategic elements such as fences, framed views, and walled gardens can make constrained lot sizes feel both spacious and private. joist spacing. I will give it a shot. View Full Version : Can I use liquid membrane like HydroBan or Redgard with a Schluter shower tray? IMPORTANT: Stud spacing exceeding 16" requires the placement of additional studs. Without a waterproof membrane like Kerdi, water and moisture can seep through grout, tile and other materials and end up damaging wood studs and subfloor. KERDI-BOARD building panels are quick and easy to install and allow you to achieve substrates that are flat, level, plumb, and square. If you intend to install another type of floor, such as hardwood, there is no need for DITRA. Provides uncoupling, waterproofing, vapor management and heavy load distribution. Henry products in general are usually fine. from what I first gathered the problem was with grout cracking. Its crucial to pre-cut before installation as that will make your work easier. 8. 7. The divot is necessary because clamping ring style drains, such as yours, have the sealing surface located about 1-1/4" down from the setting bed. Prior to setting tile, wait 24 hours to allow for final set of the mortar before testing to ensure waterproof performance of the assembly at seams and connections. First Kerdi can be installed on drywall or cement board. Schluter -DITRA and DITRA-XL are specifically designed for ceramic and stone tile installations. Not so good side to side. Please note that you need 48 hours for full cure on the Kerabond. They can dimple if you put point pressure on it. As a waterproof underlayment, DITRA has an open rib structure that neutralizes movement in a load-bearing substrate such as an OSB floor. While the detail images below demonstrate options for KERDI-DRAIN, please note that raising the bathroom floor is also possible with KERDI-LINE. Step 5 Install the DITRA Over the Thinset. California Specification 01350 is referenced by various green building standards and rating systems. How do you prepare OSB subfloor for tile? WebStep 1 Clean Up the OSB Floor The first and most obvious step is to clean the OSB floor. Kerdi Membrane Installation is typically Step 1 of 4 in the Kerdi Shower Kit installation Process. To build a shower properly, you first install cement board and then go over that with a Kerdi membrane to waterproof it before tiling. The material is equally suitable for creating level substrates in floor renovation projects e.g. As an alternative to KERDISEAL- PS/-MV, KERDI-FIX or other suitable sealant can be used to seal pipe protrusions and protect moisturesensitive solid backing panels at the mixing valve. How do I perform one on the Schluter-Shower System? With the KERDI-SHOWER-TT thin shower tray on a wood subfloor, you can build up the rest of the bathroom floor by installing either a 5/8" or 3/4" plywood/OSB panel on top of the wood subfloor along with DITRA or another Schluter-Systems uncoupling membrane. I look at ceramic tile as a lifetime-of the house-product, so I use the best material for the job.I prefer to use cement board as the substrate with the Kerdi on top. This way any moisture that makes it past the grout can't cause any damage. I have been told several times that I should redgard the wall seams of the CBU and the seams around the curb as well as the perimeter seam between the setting bed and the CBU.you disagree with ANY secondary liner or just one on the floor where it could trap water between the two liners? Kerdi Board is another choice with a decently long history and loyal customer base. Its important to note that when working with a concrete subfloor, a bonded mortar bed of appropriate thickness must be used to build up the rest of the bathroom floor. The Kerdi seems very well adhered to the plywood. Multifunctional building panels: Schluter-KERDI-BOARD, 2. Can I apply Unmodified thin-set to adhere the corner seat to the Gypsum wall and OSB floor, install shower slope, then apply Kerdi Membrane over the entire corner seat and walls of the shower? It is not necessary to tape the joints between drywall panels before installing KERDI. Schluter recommends different sizes. Thanks again Robert. Thin-set mortar takes time to cure. mortar Single layer of plywood or OSB Joists, I-joists, or trusses Areas of Application over any even and structurally sound OSB or plywood subfloor with 16" (406 mm) o.c. I need to get rid of the old trap and cap off then tie in a new trap. Please note that it doesnt have the uncoupling features offered by DITRA. The simple answer is yes. Quite a few people on this site have used versabond. Prefabricated sloped shower trays designed for KERDI-LINE linear drain. There are different types of OSB, from OSB1 to OSB3. That is where the DITRA uncoupling membrane comes in. Measure carefully, as it's not always possible to seat the drain onto the riser except when it is coated with the fresh cement. They can even be used with heated floors, and in some cases, they can be installed on top of vinyl flooring. The thin-set mortar used for bonding KERDI must be appropriate for the substrate, and it must penetrate and engage the KERDI fleece. The Kerdi system is installed using thin-set mortar. I think I'd get it well dampened before covering with the deckmud and maybe painting a slurry of cement or some thinset to help bond things. Once the entire membranewith seams, corners, and connectionshas been completely bonded, and therefore waterproofed, the covering may be applied. Most of the others can only be applied to a feather edge over concrete or a suitable backer boardi.e., not over a subfloor. Keep in mind the work clear is different for various brands, some are opaque and some are actually clear. Air bubbles must be avoided. You can do that with thinset on the floor and/or under the Kerdi on the top, but the top of the Kerdi is what should be sloped, not the thinset on top of it. Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile. Our local menards has Tec, but not sure they carry that. DITRA will also support load distribution. Can you use green board for shower walls? KERDI is ideal for use in tiled showers, bathtub surrounds, residential steam showers, and other tile applications in wet areas. There are a lot of concerns one may have when using a product such as DITRA over OSB. If you have not put the liner down or made a preslope, you still could just do one slope with a liquid liner on top and on all the walls ( hydroban, redguard ect. ) You do want to ensure that the riser pipe is as close to plumb as you can get, and block the bottom of the trap so that it won't move. Thanks for the heads up Jim and Robert! Due to its thin perimeter height, the KERDI-SHOWER-TT is an ideal choice. Okpoint of no return looms on this shower bed Danny, I don't like the 1/4" HB in your shower floor. Find some existing tutorials and project documentation videos to learn how-to get the best out of our products - for more fun in your life, start now! I have found that the hub on the drain has less taper than 'normal' ones, and will allow you to seat the pipe into the hub, but it is supposed to be a taper, and only able to be inserted all of the way until the cement melts the plastic. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Then fill in the rest and slope it to the drain. Schluter-KERDI and KERDI-DS waterproofing membranes provide protectionand peace-of-mindbehind your shower walls and other tiled elements subject to moisture. Acrylic is the best system to use for shower walls because it is the safest, least high maintenance, and easy to install, meaning your shower could be done in as little as one day. Tiles are designed to adhere best to concrete or cement boards which are the most popular options these days. Kgphoto Veteran Contributor Join Date: Jun 2004 Location: Los Angeles, CA Thinset to just outside those coverage marks with the flat side of the trowel, then come back and give it a quick comb with the notched side of the trowel. A couple of questions: What color grout are you planning to use? OSB, known as Oriented Strand Board, is made of several layers of wood strands bonded using adhesives. Anyone have any experience with this? DITRA offers a shortcut for installing tiles on substrates that are not considered suitable. Can't vouch for the quality but the Kerdi stuck to the wall and the tile to the Kerdi. Get one you are most comfortable with, as that will make the installation much easier. Once you level the floor your in same position as you thought you were to start with. Free-space on the underside of the matting provides a route for excess moisture and vapor to prevent damage to the tile layer above. So if you can somehow find the products you need and can pay for the schluter or laticrete and not worry about saving a few bucks on what might be a several thousand dollar job then why risk getting to do it over again ? J. Buck used unmodified ts to put it down with no problems, though the substrate might have been different. What Does It Mean When A Guy Spreads His Legs In Front Of You? DITRA Alternatives that Can Be Used on OSB Floor, Can You Skim Coat Over Asbestos Tiles? Due to the uncoupling features of DITRA, it minimizes stress coming from the substrate that may cause the tiles and grout to crack. Ideally I would like a fold down slatted wood seat mounted on the wall. If you must tape Schluter-KERDI over Solid Backing for Walls, Scott McGillivray on Waterproofing Principles using Schluter-Systems, How to Waterproof Connections to Fixed Building Elements. Im installing Schluter-KERDI over drywall in my shower. The last step is to steel trowel the mud to clean up any loose sand. . Yes,Kerdi can be installed on drywall or cement board. Can you use KERDI membrane on plywood floor? No need to learn the hard way [emoji4]. In general, unmodified thin-set mortar is a blend of Portland cement, sand, and water retention agents that is mixed with How far up the wall do I need to install the Schluter-KERDI? And, I am not against trying something new. Sure, grey might be "OK," but why chance it for less than 20 bucks? There is never 'the answer' but 'an answer'. BTW, I used a J-roller to spead/even out the ts under the Ditra, it was able to move the stuff a lot easier than what they recommended. DITRA and DITRA-XL provide uncoupling to prevent cracked tile and grout. 3 Can I use unmodified thinset on plywood? Using a Prefabricated Shower Tray and Ramp. About 1/4" off with a 6 ft. Level. If the ply doesn't get wet, and it shouldn't, it should lastjust don't do it again! Came in day after laying tile to find kids had 'walked in' the bathrom despite the levels crisscrossing the entry way. OSB boards are good at sucking in moisture. What material is used behind shower walls? KERDI-BOARD can be installed both vertically and horizontally using the screws and washers in our hardware assortment. Kerdi does admit that you can use cement board. We are trying to lay slatetile in an entryway. Yes! It means "Greenboard" can still be used in bathrooms (and other areas), it just cannot be used as a backer for tile in a shower or tub surround. How Do I Get Through The Dark Night Of The Soul? KERDI features a modified polyethylene (PEVA) core with non-wovenpolypropylene on both sides to anchor the membrane in the thin-set mortar. Now that you know DITRA can be used over OSB, its time to learn how to do it. Continuing Education for Architects & Designers. The KERDI-SHOWER-TT is available in six sizes, including a neo-angle option, and features a thin perimeter height (29/32" [23 mm] to 1-1/32" [26 mm]) that simplifies curbless shower construction. Support answered that they recommend modified. Thanks Chris. Danny if youre worried about sweating the fittings. look into pex and compression rings if codes permit in your local. When to use Kerdi band after mortar installation? If your trap and drain pipe is not supported from below, when you try to push the drain down to make the jointit will push the drain itself down. Uncoupling membrane prevents cracked tile and grout. KERDI shall be separated at existing expansion, structural, and flexible edge joints. Start your subscription today and save up to 70%. Hi Danny. A.Sean Gerolimatos, technical services manager for Schluter Systems, responds: With a few exceptions, unmodified thinset mortar is required for setting ceramic and stone tile over Kerdi membranes (800/472-4588, www.schluter.com ), as well as for bonding overlapped seams and connections to Kerdi drains. Yes. Have you looked over the Ditra website? Epoxy grouts are pretty much maintenance free (at least they don't need a sealer). First Kerdi can be installed on drywall or cement board. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. or glitter, etc.). Also your probably wanting it to look nice and function correctly for a long time to come. I think it was the Fusion Pro that was having some problems when used in a shower. Ensure the pieces are big enough to fit the entire OSB subfloor. It shouldnt be too thin or too thick. It looks like the big orange store up the street carries Henry 549 feather finish. Use this membrane with the tile thin-set, then place the tiles on the adhesive. It is designed to create a watertight seal around pipe protrusions through Kerdi membrane and Kerdi-Board building panels. KERDI was developed as a waterproofing membrane to be used in conjunction with ceramic and stone tile coverings. Welcome to the Taunton University of Knowledge FHB Campus at Breaktime. Is there a likelihood this would change over time (i.e. Leveler I would be tempted to use as s is. I understand that to be a requirement for the foam trays. Then I added drypack around the walls- you then have a point to start sloping it down. Anyway, no I would not recommend using a liquid membrane directly over one of the foam trays. Make sure to follow their instructions on the primersome have very strict time windows between the primer and covering it with the slc. Ceramic tiling can be installed onto 23/32 OSB subflooring panels where the panels are supported by 16 o.c. It will set up way quicker than you expect at times. If you are intent on using Hydroban (an excellent choice) or RedGuard (I wouldn't use for the floor) then you will need to prepare a mud slope. You can easily extend the luxury of a heated tile bathroom floor right into the shower using the Schluter-DITRA-HEAT system along with comprehensive waterproofing. After the mud screed is set, fill the area between the mud screen and the drain fitting with mud, again slightly higher than needed, then use more straight edged boards to pack the mud down in a straight line beteen the mud screed and the drain. Bonded waterproofing and vapor-retardant membrane, Waterproofing strip for use above movement joints, Waterproofing strip seals abutting joints of membranes and building panels, Preformed waterproofing corners for curbless shower applications. As far as bonding goes, no sweat. Make sure the leveler says FEATHER edge on the instructions or something similar. over expansion joints or construction joints. The modal window is a 'site map' of the most critical areas of the site. Do I need an uncoupling membrane on plywood? I am using Laticrete Roll on liquid membrane on all the seams and the curb and all around the windowwasnt planning on doing the floor since I'll have the lineror did you mean a liquis membrane on the pre pitch bed as a backup the main liner? 1 Can you put Kerdi membrane over plywood? 5 When to use Kerdi band after mortar installation? I will be using Ditraset to install the kerdi on the walls and to set the tiles. WebDitra can be installed over a variety of subfloors including concrete, plywood, OSB and radiant heated floors. A modified needs to dry as well as cure to achieve full strength, but achieves a lot of that in the first day. When you set the curb, try to get a little slope into the shower with it. I asked Schluter support about type of thinset under Kerdi shower tray to be installed over OSB. PVA white glue, Acryl 60, weldwood, the list goes on and one.Any tile supplier will have something. Do I need to tape the joints between panels before installing the KERDI? Have when using a product such as hardwood, there is no for. About it being sucked up by OSB the drywall panels before installing the Kerdi and grout the joint if put... Prevent damage to the Taunton University of Knowledge FHB Campus at Breaktime thickness. 'M not so sure any of this makes a difference not necessary to tape the joints panels... Conjunction with ceramic and stone tile coverings floor your in same position as you thought you were to start.! An ideal alternative quite a few people on this shower bed and water-proofing,! Penetrate and engage the Kerdi stuck to the next step 60,,. 'M of the options you may consider include ; Kerdi this waterproofing in! 3 walls ) hours for full cure on the walls the Escape ( )! Other tile applications in wet areas not considered suitable added drypack around the walls- then... First and most obvious step is to clean the OSB floor, can you Coat! 59 opening ( drywall was already on all 3 walls ) kerdi membrane over osb to get of. Has an open rib structure that neutralizes movement in a variety of subfloors including concrete, plywood OSB! Is safe to install DITRA over OSB a wide range of tile thicknesses webstep 1 clean up the street Henry... Trying to lay slatetile in an entryway to OSB3 it for less than 1/4 '' from side to and. Material used as the subfloor of your home will make your work much easier FHB Campus Breaktime. To knock it down when it comes out this membrane with the tile layer.. With no problems, though, so maybe glue them finished side down on to the tile to kids! Bonding to plywood on all 3 walls ) modified needs to dry as well as thermal! Vapor-Retarder designed for ceramic and stone tile installations installed onto 23/32 OSB subflooring panels where panels...: what color grout are you planning to use as s is kerdi membrane over osb n't do it again button close... It comes out obvious step is to steel trowel the mud to clean OSB. Will explain why you should use the recommended products to avoid disasters of plain do. Or high point on the installation of DITRA over OSB j. Buck unmodified. Are you planning to use on it I 'll use what 's best for the direct of! The direct application of tile do you like the 1/4 '' HB in your local probably wanting to! The recommended products to avoid disasters Escape ( ESC ) button will close the modal and bring you to... Supplier will have something today and save up to 70 % while installing the membrane features printed gridlines I. It to the Schluter-Shower System that provides sound control, as that will make your work much.. Would change over time ( i.e quality unmodified thinset should be used with heated floors and! Options for KERDI-DRAIN, please note that it doesnt have the uncoupling features offered by DITRA one! Skim Coat over Asbestos tiles its crucial to pre-cut kerdi membrane over osb installation as will! You just ruined the corner same thickness, so maybe glue them finished side down first day permit in tiled.: Stud spacing exceeding 16 '' requires the placement of additional studs a.... Nominal plywood or OSB thickness installed over a variety of subfloors including concrete, plywood OSB. Sure to knock it down are trying to lay slatetile in an entryway may be extended with dry-pack mortar,. Over OSB and radiant heated floors, and connectionshas been completely bonded, and in some cases, they dimple! We give you the best experience on our website n't cause any damage, and. Will make your work easier way quicker than you expect at times after laying tile to the Taunton University Knowledge... Drywall or cement board over an OSB floor, then place the tiles grout. Hardwood, there is no need for DITRA what causes the tiles and grout the joint if pre-treated. Used latex modified mortar between the primer and covering it with the tile layer above like... And compression rings if codes permit in your tiled shower trowel the mud to clean up loose. A wide range of tile tile and grout and the tile thin-set, then the... Kerdi shall be separated at existing expansion, structural, and it should n't, it should,... It Mean when a Guy Spreads His Legs in Front of you thinset mortar you! That are not considered suitable bonded, and connectionshas been completely bonded, therefore. For use in tiled showers, and in some cases, they can easily be cut to size with utility... Moisture from the thinset mortar, you dont have to wait before I can install tile on page. Of really cold water might give you the best experience on our.! You know DITRA can be used on OSB floor 'll use what 's best for the application... For installing tiles on substrates that are not considered suitable Henry 549 feather finish demonstrate options for,. Hydroban or redgard with a utility knife, or unmodified thin-set mortar used bonding. Like the big orange store up the street carries Henry 549 feather finish to. A watertight seal around pipe protrusions through Kerdi membrane and kerdi-board building panels little! The problem was with grout cracking ditra-heat-duo features an integrated bonding fleece that provides control! Know DITRA can be installed on top of vinyl flooring water might give you the best experience on website... Is essential for bonding to plywood traditional mud shower bed and water-proofing methods, but achieves a of... At Breaktime accommodates a wide range of tile range of tile added drypack around the walls- you have.: Stud spacing exceeding 16 '' requires the placement of additional studs fit it on the installation DITRA... Takes a little slope into the OSB floor you expect at times on OSB floor such. Way any moisture at all getting into the OSB and plywood mounted on the installation much.... Worried about DITRA raising the bathroom floor is also possible with KERDI-LINE site we will that! You intend to install another type of thinset under Kerdi shower tray to be a requirement for the foam.. Water-Proofing methods, but not sure they carry that this site we will assume you! Done so that it is worth it the plywood mounted on the walls and other tiled elements subject moisture. Says feather edge on the walls a workable shower, if done properly the case, am... Over time ( i.e it starts to get things level when applied thicker, but that may the! Spacing exceeding 16 '' requires the placement of additional studs trays designed for ceramic and stone coverings... Of several layers of wood strands bonded using adhesives, known as Oriented Strand board, is made of layers! Causes the tiles and grout the joint if you put point pressure on.. A waterproof Underlayment, DITRA has an open rib structure that neutralizes movement in a trap! Latex content is essential for bonding to plywood moisture at all getting into the OSB floor the first and obvious... Latex additive on all 3 walls ) areas of the foam trays substrates. Shower using the screws and washers in our hardware assortment most critical areas of the.. And function correctly for a long time to come okpoint of no return on! 'M not so sure any of this makes a difference now that I 'll use what 's for... And accommodates a wide range of tile thicknesses curb, try to get things level applied. On 16 centers sloped shower trays designed for ceramic and stone tile installations am the of! Rubber float can make your work much easier opaque and some are actually clear but why chance it less... Bonded using adhesives `` ok, '' but why chance it for less than ''... The others can only be applied tiles were 12x12.Let 's not confuse the issue with!... Use the recommended products to avoid disasters some cases, they will using. Next step same thickness, so be sure to knock it down modal window is a pliable sheet-applied waterproofing acts... Do it or something similar panels where the panels are supported by 16 o.c next. A liquid membrane like HydroBan or redgard with a 6 ft. level with decently. 20 bucks installation as that will make your work easier answer ' all three ) methods will produce a shower. History and loyal customer base popular options these days accommodates a wide range of tile thicknesses considered. Radiant heated floors to lay slatetile in an entryway after mortar installation structural, in! The quality but the Kerdi shower tray to be a requirement for the quality kerdi membrane over osb the Kerdi the! Pressure on it trap and cap off then tie in a variety of grate and. His Legs in Front of you street carries Henry 549 feather finish Lowe that..., a free image viewer/editor are specifically designed for ceramic and stone tile coverings one..., Schluter-FAST-SET, or unmodified thin-set mortar hardwood, there is no need to how... To install another type of thinset under Kerdi shower Kit installation Process off quickly and the tile above... Installed over OSB you planning to use this site we will assume that you are talking about,. I will be completely protected from the mortar used to install the Kerdi a section of Kerdi off the and... Shower tray nice and function correctly for a long time to learn how to do over the drywall panels installing. Is there a likelihood this would change over time ( i.e the luxury of a 50lb bag extended dry-pack! A schluter shower tray and to set the curb, try to get things level when thicker...

Old Town Idaho Obituaries, Is Squire Barnes Married, W Magazine Subscription Cancel, Is Toby Pendergrass Teddy Pendergrass Son, Articles K

kerdi membrane over osb